Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley, who has pleaded guilty to charges of his involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks, would testify against his Pakistani handlers Illyas Kashmiri and Sajid Mir, a United States attorney has said.
While Pakistani handler Sajid Mir and ISI's Major Iqbal are both in the dock in the Chicago court where Tahawwur Rana is being tried for his role in the 26/11 terror attacks, Mir remains Pakistan's biggest worry. Vicky Nanjappa reports.
The NIA says it will need go back to when Sajid Mir had come down as a cricket fan to find out more about his Indian sojourn. This part of the probe will be very crucial since it will help establish the Mir angle behind 26/11 with more certainty
It has been almost three years since the horrific 26/11 attacks shook Mumbai and the country. Although the entire plot has become more or less clear today, there still remain some mysteries surrounding this case. The most important of them all is a name called Sajid Mir, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
India has hit out at China for blocking a move to designate Pakistan-based LeT leader Sajid Mir as a "global terrorist" by the UN, saying it shows a lack of genuine political will to fight the scourge of terrorism.
Terror operative Abu Jundal's trial on December 9 is likely to open a new war of words, for his claims on another LeT operative Sajid Mir, who, Jundal has claimed that was a 'khaas aadmi' of the ISI. Vicky Nanjappa reports
The United States on Thursday slapped sanctions on Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Tayiba's top eight commanders, including Mumbai terrorist attack mastermind Sajid Mir and its founder Hafiz Saeed's son.
In the audio clip, he is heard directing the attack on Chabad House during Mumbai 26/11 terror attacks.
'The fight against terrorism will continue. We have set a new normal and the new normal is that we will follow an offensive strategy. Wherever terrorists are, we have to kill those terrorists and we have to destroy their infrastructure. So it is still not over but as we speak the ceasefire is still intact'
This year's roster sees ten players each placed in Categories B, C, and D. Notably, no player has been selected for Category A in this cycle, the PCB said in a statement.
'He is the key to unravel the 26/11 conspiracy.'
Mir was called "project manager" of the Mumbai attacks.
David Coleman Headley, the Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative is being deposed before a Mumbai court on Monday through video conference.
Beijing blocked the proposal that had been moved by the US and co-designated by India to blacklist Mir under the 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council as a global terrorist and subject him to assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo.
Here are the revelations made by Headley so far in the deposition
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is set to investigate a case involving a UK-based Pakistani agent, Mughiz Ahmad Shearachiikh, who has been suspended by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for breaching its anti-corruption code. Shearachiikh and his company, International Cricketers Association (ICA), had signed several centrally contracted Pakistani players last year.
The fact that the likes of Sajid Mir are roaming free in Pakistan is worrying. Vicky Nanjappa reports
Indian agencies are rejoicing over statements made by 26/11 accused David Headley, but they also know that the task ahead, especially for the interrogators, is not an easy one.
Shaheen Afridi also missed the last two Tests against England in October.
akistani-American David Coleman Headley outline how the Lashkar-e-Tayiba and the Inter-Services Intelligence wanted to spread terror in India.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Sunday demoted premier pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi to Category B from Category A, and did not offer central contracts to senior players Fakhar Zaman, Iftikhar Ahmed and Osama Mir for the 2024-25 season.
Abu Jundal gives interrogators information on Sajid Mir, two Majors and Zarar Shah -- all four of whom were in the 26/11 control room in Karachi
While the Lashkar-e-Tayiba leadership made plans for fool-proof attacks in Mumbai, the ten men involved in the carnage made a number of mistakes thus leaving crucial clues behind for Indian intelligence agencies, according to court documents.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Sajid Mir's association with David Coleman Headley will be the primary focus of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Indian security agencies.
Babar Azam was dropped on Sunday, while the pace duo Shaheen Afridi and Naseem Shah opted to withdraw from the remaining two Tests against England.
U.S. authorities have identified Sajid Mir as one of the masterminds of the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed 166, including Gavriel Holtzberg, a young American rabbi, and his wife, Rivka.
Rauf Azhar, born in 1974 in Pakistan, had been sanctioned by the United States in December 2010.
China has put a hold on a proposal moved at the United Nations by the United States and co-supported by India to designate Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist Sajid Mir, one of India's most wanted terrorists and the main handler of the deadly 2008 Mumbai attacks, as a global terrorist.
The United States has decided to name Sajid Mir and seven other terrorists of who have been responsible for both the 26/11 and 9/11 attacks. Even as International agencies continue to name these terrorists, Pakistan, which harbours these men, continues to remain in denial, and very recently even rejected the proof given by the Indians regarding the 26/11 case. Vicky Nanjappa reports.
Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence should focus on nabbing some of the world's most wanted terrorists -- Ayman al-Zawahiri, Siraj Haqqani, Major Iqbal, Sajid Mir and Dawood Ibrahim -- hiding in the country, a United States foreign policy magazine has demanded.
Pakistan have dropped plans to conduct "major surgery" on the national team as it included senior players Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan and Shaheen Shah Afridi in the Test squad for the two-match series against Bangladesh.
The United States on Friday said it would continue its hunt for dreaded terrorist Illyas Kashmiri, Lashkar-e-Tayiba handler Sajid Mir and four others involved in the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people, including six Americans. The six are named in the indictment in the case in a Chicago court, which is hearing charges against Tahawwur Rana and David Headley. Rana was on Thursday sentenced to 14 years in jail.
Jaishankar said: "Our expectation levels with the Pakistanis are never very high."
Here are the highlights from the Lashkar terrorist's deposition on Day 4.
A top United States attorney has vowed to bring to justice the other six Pakistan-based defendants who have been named in the indictment filed by federal prosecutors before a Chicago court in Mumbai case. The six defendants are Al Qaeda leader Illyas Kashmiri, Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Sajid Mir; Major Iqbal, said to be a serving Inter Services Intelligence officer and Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed alias Pasha, another LeT leader.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba had initially scheduled the Mumbai terror attacks on September 29, but abandoned its plan as attackers got stuck on a rock and the boat in which they were travelling was destroyed, according to unsealed court documents.
International pressure in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks led Lashkar-e-Tayiba to abandon its plan to attack a Danish newspaper in retaliation to the publication of a cartoon of Prophet Mohammed, David Coleman Headley told a court on Wednesday.
With the arrest of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley the attack on the offices of Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten that published the Prophet Mohammed cartoons was averted. But the masterminds of this attack are the ones who planned and executed the 26/11 strikes -- Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa, Mazhar Iqbal and Major Iqbal. The US court may have named them conspirators in the Mumbai attacks, but the danger is far from over. They are still at large in Pakistan.
While Sajid Mir, the chief handler of the 26/11 attacks on Mumbai, continues to pose a big security risk, India has started to raise concerns about Rashid Abdullah who is said to be planning a series of attacks on Indian soil.